Tuesday 26 June 2012

pom session 1 and 2


This is my first blog ever and here I would like to share my experience about the 1st two sessions conducted by Dr.Mandi( Professor for "Principles of Organization and Management"). I am firstly thankful to him as, if he had not made blogging compulsory I might not have entered this domain even now.

1st Session

I, coming from a corporate background, just as the session was about to begin there were few quick thoughts that ran through my mind  about some of  the HR policies in my company and I was  all geared up to correlate the knowledge I get in the lecture with whatever I have noticed  in my work. But surprisingly there was no lecture on anything related to the subject. And instead, a video was played (Pink floyd ‘s another brick in the wall). It is a satire on the current education system. I had loved that video but was still wondering why it’s been played then.  Slowly I was realizing that , this subject will not be taught in the conventional way and it would be done in a different manner.
Then we were shared with some knowledge on Mandi , Dhanda. And immediately I was left with some mixed feelings. I was surprised to see how products were made based on simple principles of mathematics and physics, was amazed to see how business and money is made out of such products, and also started feeling guilty that inspite of so many opportunities around us, I am not doing anything productive.
This session was not actually related to the subject yet we were enlightened with some precious knowledge and information on the opportunities present around us. We also were shown a video on Mandi. The way our seniors sold the products deserves all appreciation. They knew their motive, they targeted the right customers and they hit the bull’s eye perfectly. Walked out of the class with a positive attitude and looking forward to be associated with mandi and hopefully even dhanda. And then learnt a very interesting caption “Socho Bhecho, Behcho Seeko, Seekho Socho”.



2nd Session   
            From the learning of 1st session I entered the class with an open mind and was ready for more surprises. And it started off with Dr.Mandi sharing his view about entrepreneurship. There was a wonderful comparison about the managers being only automobile wheels and the organization being the actual vehicle. We were then told about then introduced to S.M.A.R.T goals ( Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time bound). These were new to me and had some understanding about them that these attributes contribute a lot to the success of an organization.
And then Sir had noticed that, it was post lunch we started feeling sleepy, he decided to make us play a game of cubes(a single cube tower had to be built). And 3 of our batch mates started playing it after an intense auction to enter the game. I was seeing it only as a game but was bit confused when three of them were assigned different roles. And then everything started falling in place. The comparisons that were made, like one being the head of an organization, other being the higher management and the third being the employee were surprising. Each and every action made by each of them was compared with the organizational behavior. And as sir was saying, I could relate most of them with what I had noticed in my previous workplace. Like the behavior of management, the way they treat the employees, take care of them, keep them satisfied through appraisals and increments. Behavior of the employees, how they follow their managers instructions and work accordingly. I could important features which contribute to organization’s success like, goal oriented approach, teamwork, effective communication in the game.  All this which initially started off as a game was a part of learning. And learnt all the new things without feeling sleepy even for a second and infact was very excited when the tower was being built. This was all nothing but learning in an unconventional manner which was full of fun. Had a very nice and important learning from this session about organizational behavior. Hope to have more such sessions in future.






2 comments:

  1. When are you going to write Khan Academy case as a .. blog ? dr mandi

    ReplyDelete